Monday, November 28, 2005

Day twenty eight: final entry


I did it!

I can hardly believe it myself, but it's finished. The longest single thing I have ever written. I am in awe of myself. Well, I might be if I didn't have some idea just how much work will be required for the rewrite. Still feeling very smug, though.

I have this thing about life where I'm thinking if somebody came up to me and asked me what i had to show for the last six months, what would I say? Right now I could say "I wrote a novel".

Anyhow, it seems unfair to end this without a quote from the story, so here's a bit from the epilogue.

Greta’s dad led them out to the car park and stopped at a nice looking car, a deep green in colour. Candy had no clue about cars beyond them all having a wheel at each corner, but this was an impressive vehicle. It was the kind of car driven by people who could afford Rolls Royces but didn’t want to appear flashy.

The man opened the boot and he and Greta’s dad started to pile their cases into it. Oh, thought Candy, he’s the chauffer. Which was nice.

“So what’s my little girl been doing at school this term?” Asked Greta’s dad, smiling that big smile. Now there’s a loaded question, thought Candy.

Final word count for first draft: 50,249

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

I've been lurking, reading your progress over the course of the month. Way to go!

If I manage to write nonstop for the next few days, I might be able to make it, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I am envious of you.

Greg said...

Way to go. I won't come anywhere near to "winning." I'm at 26,000 words. I stand in awe of anyone who finished 50,000 words. Will we see the finished product on-line any time soon?

Sleestak said...

Woof! I admire that. I've got 3 outlines for novels I wanted to start for the Nanoo Nanoo but things got in the way. Maybe next year or next month once things settle down.

Congrats!

Marionette said...

Heh. I still have the outline for the novel I spent half of October planning out. But I'm really glad I junked it and started fresh on November 1st. Though looking back to my entry for Nov 1 now, I see that 'fresh' was not exactly the best word to describe how I was feeling at the time.

Walaka said...

Congratulations - I appreciate both your spirit and your effort.

Word verification = elfwro -- that seems somehow fitting...

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Now can we get back to Wonder Woman? :)

Sleestak said...

Mmmmmm..thought candy.


Word verification: poemm

One of the easier ones I've had to enter. Usually they are in a form that seems like a tech-writer had a seizure while writing. "Ghyttrrrrgh".

JP said...

Wow. Congratulations.

Harvey Jerkwater said...

Congratulations!

I, too, won the challenge. And I have no idea what to do next. Maybe revise it, maybe use it as the basis of a papier-mache sculpture of former U.S. Attorney General Edwin Meese.

Being able to call yourself a novelist is groovy, isn't it?